16 May 2010

Theaterplatz of Dresden

Dresden's Theaterplatz is a beautiful square framed by some of the city's most important landmarks such as the Zwinger Palace, the Hofkirche and the Semper Opera House. The most prominent building at the mostly pedestrianized square is the Semper Opera House, originally known as the Hoftheater, hence the name of the square. A first version of the opera house was built in the 17th century, but was replaced by a new, grander structure between 1838 and 1841. After it was destroyed by fire the opera house was rebuilt at the end of the 19th century.

No comments: